Friday, June 13, 2008

School

Okay, so I am hating the school district right now! This year has meant a lot of driving back and forth having Zachary(Ridgeview) and Gracie(Meadow Creek) at 2 different schools and then Hoper in pre-school. So, for next year it is our goal to have all 3 at the same school, eliminate the back and forth and just make our lives easier...imagine that.
So...once kindergarten registration began I got Hope registered at our "home" school,Valley, a different school than either of my other kids are attending now because of the boundary changes for a new school. Anyway, I went to get her registered and then went to the district to apply for intra-district transfers for both of the girls so they could be at Zach's school...(Zach is at Ridgeview for a Special Day Class & is doing REALLY well) This was a few months ago already. The lady at the district tells me, the girls will be put on waiting lists because the transfer cut-off date is in February...how I was supposed to know that I'm not sure. But, none the less the paper work was in and we should be getting a letter in the mail some time before the school year starts in August. Fine, we'll wait.
Then this week, Gracie gets a paper sent home for the new school requesting that we come to the information night. The only problem is, we are not even zoned for this new school. If we had stayed at our old house we would have, so the school hadn't changed our address. When we got home, I got a phone call from the district office questioning our address. I explained my intentions of having all 3 at the same school next year, blah, blah, blah. Someone would have to call me back to verify all our information.
Then today the district office calls and its the head of Special Ed. She then informs me that Zachary won't be staying at Ridgeview next year and will be going to Meadow Creek for a SDC instead! AGHH! What? WE had recently had a IEP(Individual Education Plan) meeting and nothing was mentioned about him changing schools and we had even talked about next year. The class that Zach has been in is a combo class, grades 2,3 & 4. But, I guess since the boundaries are changing, everyone is getting moved around! Fine. At least Gracie can stay where she's been since Kindergarten and Hope can go there too. Right? Maybe not. Now they want me to go back into the district office and change the transfer requests to Meadow Creek instead of Ridgeview. but, they aren't so sure about if they'll be approved due to how late the request is being made! I am seriously going to scream at this point!
I ask a simple question. When will we know what school the are going to? "Well...they won't even look at the transfer requests until August, so you should be getting a letter in the mail." "If the letters don't go out I will call you by August 16th." School starts August 18th and I guess we'll know via a letter in the mail which school they are supposed to be going to!
I'm really irritated that we won't know anything until then and they can't assure me that my kids can all go to the same school. Is that really too much to ask for? One good thing...because Zachary is a Special Ed student they will take that into consideration and we are supposed to take priority over the other requests. So, hopefully that will be the case.
Until then I'm going to try and not be completely irritated with the whole process. Okay, I'm done venting!

3 comments:

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

why don't you just put them in a private school - then it doesn't matter where you live! Just pick on and enroll all 3 or 4 or 5 - you're so crazy girl!

Christy said...

private school? Ugh! Ya right? Has anyone seen the tuition lately? I feel for you and hope it works out to get them all together. Try to not let your head pop off. :)

Rachel said...

HI Faith...so you have a classical academy or charter in your area? That is where my son attends and we couldn't be happier and it's free! I agree tuition is so expensive especially with rising living costs...that's why we had to take Caleb out of Light and Life last year :-(