Monday, June 22, 2009

James and the healing process

So we made it. James surgery went well and just took all day. I was at the hospital from 8:30 to 5, it was a really long day. His surgery was supposed to be at 10:30, notice how I said supposed to be...it ended up being at 1:30 instead. James and I sat and talked, played a game on his phone and then got plane irritated at the fact that at his surgery time, they were just taking back the guy before him to do his 2 hour surgery.
So after they took him back to get his IV started and wait there, I left for lunch and met the Nydams, with my kiddos at Panera. I got back and his mom was there and there was plenty of time before they actually took him back. He got out of surgery about 3, but I couldn't see him until nearly 4:30. That was the longest 1 1/2 hour ever! At first the Dr. said 30 minutes, but after waiting, then the nurse said it would at least be 45 more minutes. Grrr!!! Anyway, I got to see him and he was really red and hot and had a mask for oxygen. He opened his eyes for me and smiled. His mom also went back and saw him and as we were saying our goodbyes outside, Pastor Willy walked up. We walked back together and Willy told him a joke(which he doesn't remember) and we prayed together. I told James I'd come back before he bedtime...I was just waiting on the nurse to call me.
I left to go and get my kiddos since they had been with the Nydam's since 8am.! (THANK YOU NYDAMS, We love you!!!) We came home (about 6:15) to eat and I mowed the front and backyard and no sooner than I got started the nurse called saying that he was asking for me and the kids. I quick finished the yards and then we headed down. He was still in the ICU, so technically there are no kids allowed, but the nurse was kind and let us in the back door and closed all the curtains. We said hi, held Daddy's hand, prayed together and said good-night!
By the time we got home and in the bed it was after 9. I was so tired and we all fell right asleep.
Glad it's over.
Thursday my Papa brought Jamesy home around 11. He said hi and headed straight for bed, after making a detour to the bathroom to vomit chunks-I know gross, but...
So now, 5 days later he has eaten about 1 meal total, 10 popcicles, lost 12 pounds and is back at work this morning. He's a champ! He worked on Saturday appraising from 10 to 4 and yestereday and he did some work outside with me. I'm quite sure that doesn't count as rest, but he hasn't been talking much, so I guess he is resting his voice:) Onward and upward! Thank you God!

1 comment:

Christy said...

glad James is doign well. I was thinking about him and wondering how it all went.