Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fire

Fire extinguisher anyone? Well I could have used one today!


My mom being the kind Nana that she is, wanted to get my kids something different for afternoon snack time. So, she brought over some easy snacks that would encourage the kids independence in food preparation (like how I worded that?) Anyway, she bought microwavable mac n cheese.


This what it is supposed to look like.
However this is what Gracie's 2nd attempt ended up looking like...

While nursing Wesley I gave her the instructions on how to prepare her snack...take the lid off, add water to the line and start the microwave for 3 minutes. 3 minutes later her snack was ready to be stirred and she was enjoying her mac n' cheese with hamburger in it (YUCK!) Her snack sparked the interest of her cousin (who was over after to school) so she repeated the process. Or so she thought she did.

Sitting on the couch still nursing I heard the microwave making some weird loud sound. I turned around only to see flames engulfing the entire thing. I ran to the kitchen (with Wesley still attached to the boob, mind you), yelling at Gracie to back up. I opened the microwave door to a horrible stench and looked around aimlessly for something to extinguish the flames. Wet paper towels...genius! Within seconds the fire was out, but the smoke was intense, as was the stench!

1 important little fact: If your kids G-ma or Nana or Oma, whoever decides to buy some God-awful afternoon snack to encourage your kids independence in cooking...blah, blah, blah, make sure you don't forget to add water. Otherwise this is what your microwave will look like...

Next time your sitting enjoying an afternoon snack, think of me and laugh away! :) AS for my microwave. It still works, but still looks fire damaged and the smell is still working its way through my exaust fan over my stove.

2 comments:

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

ewwww, I can smell it now! i wonder what's worse, the smell or the ingredients? i bet the ingredients! Next time just show them how to pick a piece of fruit out of the fruit bowl =)

Faithy said...

They do that, but I figure a little snack here & there won't hurt them. :) Trust me the smell is horrid, burnt plastic!