Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bili and the baby

Another week has come and gone. We did our normal weekly things and Thursday we went back to see the Dr. for Wesley, to check his weight and how the jaundice was progressing. Thursday morning I felt rather productive as I got the yard mowed after dropping the kids off and before heading to the park at 10:30. (both the babies snoozed away)

We played at the park most of the morning (it was roasting hot), my Papa picked up Hope and before the Dr. the babies & I had lunch with Jess and Ethan. I was amused with how many people asked if I had a baby in my sling while we were at Panera Bread :) I guess because I was carrying Grady too, but still...do you think I'd just wear that thing for fun? Maybe if I was Miss America, haha!

Grady was spent and fell asleep on the way to the Dr.'s and slept in the stroller through the entire appointment. (yeah!) At Wesley's 1 week check-up we talked about him being a little yellow and I was in hopes it would improve, but as the whites of his eyes yellowed and his yellow tint progressively moved south on his little body, I knew she want to do blood work. :( I hate cutting their little feet and mashing them to get the blood! I was right! She took one look at him and sent us over to the lab. I had James meet me there so I wouldn't have to deal with the screaming this time. I just feel so bad for them. They lay there peacefully sleeping and then OUCH they just cut his foot and mash it to get the blood to come out all the while he his kicking and screaming, so beet-red you think they'll explode at any minute:( okay enough...

Here's his little feet :( He has owies on both feet now, so sad.Another discouraging thing was his weight...he hasn't gained any weight in the entire last week. He was born 7.5, we came home from the hospital at 6.14 and at 1 week he was 7.4 which was good, he was almost back to his birth weight, but now a week later he is still 7.4 :( Bummer! I am very fearful we are headed in the same direction Grady went...the late jaundice, the failure to gain weight, the lack of my milk, etc... Yesterday I had a bunch of errands to run and picked up some fennugreek (to increase my milk supply) just in case my milk is the problem. His bili count came back 15.9, not too bad, but the Dr. ordered us a bili blanket and it was delivered last night about 7:30.

I spent much of my night praying that this little guy would be different from Grady's early days, that his bili count would go down, that we wouldn't have to spend the weekend in the hospital and that the problem isn't with my milk. I was REALLY devastated when I couldn't nurse Grady like I had hoped to. However, I got over it realizing a bottle and a healthy baby isn't the worst combination. This time around I have been so hopeful and prayerful about the nursing situation. They are only babies for such a little time and I really LOVE the bonding that nursing provides, so I am praying that as he gets the jaundice through his little body that he will start putting on the pounds, so selfishly I can continue nursing. Is that bad? Of course I want what is best for him and will do whatever that is, but...Okay, LET GO, LET GOD!

Today we went to RCH to do another bili count and it went down to 12.6! YEAH!!!! So for the remainder of the weekend he will be under the bili blanket, nursing as much as he wants in addition to having 2 bottles of formula. We will go back to check his bili count on Monday am and then see the Dr. in the afternoon. I'm praying that his bili count will be normal and he will have gained something, even if it's an ounce or two :)

Here are some pictures of our bili baby :) He looks like a little glow worm, hehe!


He's not too yellow in this picture, but you can see it in his chin and especially in his eyes and chest.

4 comments:

krista said...

I am sorry you guys are going through this, I am sure it is frustrating. I will be praying for you and for some weight gain for the little man. He is sooo precious...love the new pictures.

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

You are a trooper - mowing the lawn? Reminds me of me...mowing with the baby in the sling. Ha ha. To get high fat milk you need to eat, eat, eat. Whole milk, cheese, avocados, etc. Don't diet. I'm sure you're not, but you are probably insanely busy with all those kids and might not feed yourself well. I had way more milk the first time when I ate all the time. Second time I was busy with the 20 month old and didn't eat as much, and had way less milk. Might not be your problem, but thought I'd throw it out there. You are not weird for wanting to nurse - it is the natural and God given way and devastating if you can't. Don't let anyone make you feel bad if you have to mourn the loss of nursing... it is wonderful! I can't believe all you've been through and what you're still doing... just amazing. Hoping God blesses your milk and your new little one.

Charlee said...

You dont know me well but I am a freind of Leighann Odenbaugh and I had milk supply issues too and there is a store in Yucipa called Mamas Touch and she sells an herbal blend to increase milk supply.For me I got it too late but if you would like I have 3/4 of a bottle left and if you wnt it its yours its $35 a bottle. If you want it please email me and I will find a way to get it to you. c.pensak@verizon.net. good luck

Christy said...

hang in there friend. Glow worm and all he looks oh so cute.:)