Thursday, August 28, 2008

Interesting Birth facts

Since I'm awake still at 1:33, (after taking 3 Tylenol-for a migraine, 2 sleeping pills and anxiety medicine) I thought I'd find something interesting to read online. So far, I've read some interesting things, just nothing to share until this...It's about birth statistics in the USA.
  • More than 4 million babies are born each year in the US alone.
  • States with the highest birth rates are west of the Mississippi
  • Tuesday is the most popular day to have a baby, while Sunday is the least popular.
  • More babies arrive in late summer & early fall than any other months of the year.
  • From the 70's, the mother's age at the time of birth has increased from an avg. of 21 to 25.2 in 2005.
  • 99% of moms in the US deliver in a hospital.
  • The C-section rate has climbed 50% over the last decade.
  • The number of labors that are induced has doubled since 1990.
  • The ratio of boys to girls being born is 1049 boys for every 1000 girls and has remained the same for the last 60 years.
  • The average newborn weight is 7lb. 5 oz.
I just summarized and gave what I thought was interesting, but if you care to read the entire article, here's the link-http://www.babycenter.com/0_17-surprising-facts-about-birth-in-the-united-states_1372273.bc?page=1&articleId=1372273

So, there you have it, some interesting birth facts...in case you couldn't tell I'm bored being awake at 1 in the morning and my mind is consumed with having this baby! :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

interesting. Sorry you were awake again... only a few more days!!!

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

that's a lot of meds for a pregnant mamma to take... I bet the baby is sound asleep!

Christy said...

oooh,oohh, Morgan and I just read an old poem today that said babies born on Sundays were the happiest! I would avoid Wed. cause it says they are grumpy and troublesome. he,heee! Morgan was born on a Sunday so I think it might true cause that kid has been smiling since she was born. :)here's sending some sleep your way.

Faithy said...

Unfortunately, sleep didn't come my way til about 4:45 and then it was only until 6:30 :(
I haven't been too tired today and am looking forward to some good sleep tonight!

Rachel said...

when are you having that kid faith!???