Friday, July 27, 2007

Swim lessons

It's that time again...Yesterday was the day to get the kids registered for swim lessons. I knew from previous experience that the registration time from 6-8, was a joke, as last year I came on the 2nd day of registration and Zachary got the last spot open. I wasn't exactly looking forward to standing in line, as James' last appraisal was at 6:30 in Fontana and that meant I'd be waiting with all 4 kids in line by myself. Anyway, this time around I thought I'd get there early. I figured an hour early would be plenty of time...

I pulled in the parking lot at a little before 5 and the parking lot was full, but there didn't seem to be a line outside like their was last year. So I drove home quick to get everyone a cold drink. When I returned, at 5:10 I went inside to ask about the line and the life guard pointed to the back wall, I glanced...only to see cones, with hot pink tape making 4 long zig-zagging lines with people camped out. The kids and I ran and got our place in line. It seems that some of the people waiting for registration had been there since 4pm and brought their chairs, books and dinner along! Crazy! Then I overheard how some people were "insane" attempting to get 2 or more kids in lessons at the same time. I didn't think it was that insane, it only makes sense to have the kids in lessons at the same time, so I wouldn't be running back and forth, right? I guess I was clearly insane because I was attempting to put all 3 big kids in lessons at the same time. The only problem I for saw, was that the levels they each needed were only offered at 1 time in the day. We waited, waited and waited some more. i changed Grady's diaper, nursed him, gave the kids a drink and a snack and waited some more.

Finally it was approaching 6pm...Registration time! The line moved slowly, like we were waiting for a ride at Disneyland that only took 2 or 3 people at a time. One of the life guards got on the mega-phone "level 4 at 11am is full" a few minutes later, and a few after that, class after class was filling up! I dreaded my turn and having to re-do the forms only to figure out new lesson times for each of them, however to my surprise they each got in the same time slot. Gracie filled her class and so did Zach, but Hope's class only had one other kids registered! Yeah!!! I wrote my check and the kids each got their confirmation slip and we were on our way home and it was only 6:35, 1 hour and 25 minutes later! I can't complain too much at least the scheduling worked out, because I would have been furious had I stood their all that time and then not even gotten the time and levels I wanted.

So, the next 2 weeks we'll be swimming everyday! I'm hoping it's not too hot and that Grady does okay! I'll post some pictures once they start!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

wow, that was a lot of work! Hopefully the swim lessons will be good.