Thursday, November 22, 2007

A year of Thanksgiving

Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name.
Psalm 100:4

Today is a day for many things-Family, friends, eating too much food, watching too much football and naps on the couch and looking through too many ads :) Our Thanksgiving this year is much different than last year, just a time to relax and enjoy it was just our family with my parents. My mom fixed the bird and I made everything else. The girls helped me set the table, Zach, Papa and Jamesy played lincoln logs as we waited. We ate later than usual, but still enjoyed some yummy food.

I have pics, but blogger won't let me load them right now. Maybe later.

As I think back on this past year I am thankful for many things, but my mind instantly goes to this same date last year, November 22. This is the day I was diagnosed. I remember it like it was yesterday... I lay across my bed and checked the voicemail. I don't remember any other messages except the ONE. Dr. Jefferies, the ENT that did the biospy surgery, left a message asking me to call her, in her voice I knew. I called her back right away, blah, blah, blah..."what we found was medulary carcinoma." Okay...so what does that mean? "It is a rare type of thyroid cancer" That is all I heard. I mean I heard everything else she said and I wrote it all down so I could research it, but I held off my tears until I hung up the phone. I was sort of numb. Then the flood gates let loose! The worst part was I was home alone with the kids. I wish James had been home more than anything and I know he wished he had been home too. I called James and my voice was shakey, I think he knew too. After talking to him I'm not sure why but, I felt compelled to call everyone I knew, so for the next couple of hours I sat on the couch retelling the news I had just heard. I didn't really call everyone I knew, but I wanted to. Just recalling all of those emotions makes me sick to my stomach and brings tears to my eyes again.

It is crazy for me to think that was only one year ago, in many ways it seems like ages ago. Life has changed in so many ways for us in this past year. We truly do have so many things to be thankful for. We serve a Gracious, Faithful and Loving God. Today as we sat to eat our Thanksgiving dinner, we went around the table and said a few things we were thankful for, here is what came from our table...
TOYS
FAMILY
FRIENDS
BROTHERS & SISTERS
HEALTH
A HOME TO LIVE IN
OUR CHURCH
ANSWERED PRAYERS

We pray that your Thanksgiving Day is spent with those you love and you are able to recall the many blessings He has given you and take a little time to truly give THANKS!!!

2 comments:

Christy said...

hey faith, ahh great post. I got this huge lump in my throat. I am so glad you are here and I can count you as one of the many things God blessed me with this past summer; having us stop long enough to talk at swim lessons truly opened a new friendship for me. Be thankful is a daily thing huh? :) Love you!

Jessica said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes as I remember so well when you called me to tell me.... we were in the car driving up to Montana. What a year this has been indeed, and what a testimony of God's faithfulness. I am thankful for you and your friendship Faithy. I love you!